At Standard Life we have a rich history of helping people save their money and invest for their future.
Our timeline highlights key moments in our story...
- The Life Insurance Company of Scotland was founded in Edinburgh in 1825. We reincorporated as a mutual assurance company in 1925 and changed our name to The Standard Life Assurance Company in 1832.
- We've always been an international business, and by the end of the 19th century agencies were selling our policies in Ireland, Germany, Canada, Egypt, India, Shanghai and the West Indies.
- Throughout the 20th century we grew through innovation and diversification. We expanded from selling annuities and basic types of insurance into group pension schemes, savings and investments.
- By the 1950s, we were the largest life assurance company in Scotland. And by the 1990s, we were Europe's biggest mutual company.
- In 1998, we launched a dedicated asset management business, Standard Life Investments.
- In 2006, we became Standard Life plc, after a strategic review of our business and a 98% 'yes' vote from our members. We now have around 1.2 million shareholders around the world.
- On 14 August 2017, we merged with Aberdeen Asset Management to become Standard Life Aberdeen. Go to our new group website to discover more about what this means.
- And, as of 2018, Standard Life is now the brand for Standard Life Aberdeen’s life savings business.